- Health & Safety
- Road Safety
With a target to ensure more sustainable road safety performance, KPO continues implementing its Road Safety Improvement Plan. In 2021, the Company completed 90% activities of the plan.
Key road safety achievements/implemented activities in 2021:
- Implementation of the new In-vehicle monitoring system (IVMS) parameters for both KPO primary and secondary logistics aligned with best international practice for further improvement of drivers’ behaviour;
- Driving competence assessment of more than 175 KPO and Contractors’ drivers both randomly and by applying risk-based approach, e.g. based on the IVMS RAG reports, vehicle type, load type, kilometres driven;
- Road traffic safety assurance review of 6 top low-performance contractors;
- Main Field roads potholes repair, road signs renewal, road marking;
- Arrangement of Winter road safety stand-down for KPO and contractors’ drivers on risks of driving in winter, including risk of hitting animals on the roads;
- ISO 39001: Road Traffic Safety Management System — successful zero non-compliance pre-certification. KPO plans a certification on this standard in 2022.
GENERAL SAFETY AND ROAD SAFETY ENGAGEMENT WITH THE AKSAI COMMUNITY
Context / short description:
Each year KPO place utmost importance to awareness raising and promoting road safety and general safety amongst the population of Aksai. Given the limitations of the coronavirus pandemic, some of the planned activities were carried out in a new format.
Solution / Actions:
KPO used to hold the annual Road Safety event dedicated to the International Children’s Day celebrated on 1st June for Aksai children and parents. However, in 2020 the COVID-19 pandemic affected the implementation of this event.
Despite the limitations, thanks to assistance of the local ‘Radio-Aksai’ colleagues, the Corporate Safety Department employees were able to conduct an online contest having communicated with parents and children of the town via Instagram.
A week before the event several short videos were prepared and published on the "Radio-Aksai’ Instagram page to remind about the most common risks and safety rules targeting shaping habits of safe behaviour and preventing child injuries. Along with this, we proposed Aksai residents to provide their photos and videos in order to share their ways of ensuring safety and protection of children at home, outside and on the roads, etc.
The best and most creative works were selected for the awards and were announced live on the ‘Radio-Aksai’ on the Children’s Day.
In addition, during 2020, in collaboration with the Aksai radio station, KPO continued broadcasting audio ads on various topics, including safety rules at home and outside, fire prevention, safe driving, child safety, as well as safe behaviour at night and in winter. Audio ads about safety and road safety are broadcasted on the radio five times a day with monthly updates.
Besides, together with representatives of the local road police and district education department, awareness events were held for children of secondary school junior classes to actively promote Road Safety rules. As part of this campaign, children were presented with memorable gifts and over a thousand reflective flickers for using at night time.